Sunday, June 10, 2007

Refreezing is okay?

Hello (lol!)

I did say my next post would be about someone else's life...but you know what.... I LIED!

So I defrosted my blade steak a few nights ago, in the fridge as is good and proper. I didn't use it within a couple of days and I began to get worried. (I always freeze stuff these days because I'm only cooking for one person, and things tend to go off in the fridge.)
How long does meat keep in the fridge? I wondered. Less than a week, I was sure.

Then last night I discovered that the meat was leaking (blood, that is) and it seemed to be coming through the plastic bag I wrapped it in. This wasn't great as many other people use the fridge. I was in a hurry... so I threw it back in the freezer, instead of throwing it out.

Now I did tell some people this story, including my mother, and they all thought it was a bit dodgy... and that I should probably throw the meat out. But, boo-ya! The internet came good for me again. The above link debunks the myth that refreezing is bad (as long as it was thawed in the fridge) and the only drawback seems to be a loss of fluid from the process.

This link is more comprehensively about freezing.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp
It seems to me that there are a lot of misconceptions about food handling/storage - but remember, the ten second rule still applies!

Enjoy my fellow freezers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I purchased cooked prawns, froze the left overs, defrosted them, ate some, froze them again and then defrosted them and ate those ones. If I seemingly disappear off the face of the planet, that's probably why. Tasted good but.