Monday, December 31, 2012

Life in Kangaroo Flat

Hello.

So Christmas 2012 came and went, and was fine. Since I wrote that last post I've actually made some decent progress on the symphony, although I'm still only up to the first movement... but it's gathering momentum towards the GFC! I can sense it. So Doug heard what I've done and likes it, I think. He maybe wants a bit more tension, but the music is still happening before the market crash, when the public didn't really know anything was wrong. So I think the light-hearted mood of making money is fitting.

Then, CRASH!

And more progress has been made on these name pieces, for the Wayfarers. I'm starting to type up the tricky ones, record some using my own voice (singing bass and soprano parts is hard!), and finishing off the last ones in my notebook. I pretty much finished another one two nights ago - have to have another look at it and see if I like the ending.  There are only 5 to go now, bar my own. Yayy!! I love them so much. They are like these beautiful little gems, all different, all really interesting and pretty. That works as a metaphor for the people too, although of course people aren't perfect.... but then neither are my pieces :P I'm just really happy about how they're going to sound, and I can't wait to have them sung by a choir.

Which incidentally, should be happening around February 2014. The director of Wayfarers has told me she wants to perform a concert of MY MUSIC. Just mine! No-one else's! Staggering. And exciting.

I haven't worked on my piano/voice pieces, much. I've started compiling a list of my repertoire, and it's small, and needs polishing. So I need to write more pieces and make the ones I have performable. The symphony has been taking priority... along with my room.

People don't think cleaning my room should take as long as it's taking. It's most likely true. But tough, that's the way I'm doing it! I'm working through methodically, making progress, and there's still a long way to go. I think it'll get easier as I get to each new box and go 'another box of THIS stuff?' For now, I'm just kind of observing what I have, and how much of it I have. Yeah yeah, I'm chucking stuff out too. But I'll probably throw out more when I know what there is. Know what I mean? Having one shelf of books is fine, but then when I get to three more boxes of books, suddenly there are too many damn books, and I need to cull.


Mmm, I need to CULL. to CULLLL.... I really do. And I am! And I shall. Hurrah. Then I can stop worrying about all the primary school workbooks and scrapbooks I 'still have sitting back at home' because... they won't be there!


Also, I've been watching a lot of TV. Surprisingly. My parents recorded the Olympics opening ceremony, which I missed whilst overseas. Doc Martin. Spooks. Whose Line Is It Anyway? Hogfather (good adaptation of the book, but horrifically long and slow). Redfern Now (great show). Wallander. Merlin - unsurprisingly I guess, given there's a character named after me.... however. I've really been missing Naruto, and Star Trek: TNG. I'm up to season 4 of TNG, could get it out from the local vid store. But I have to wait to watch Naruto, because I've been watching it with a friend. So I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers which keep popping up whenever I see new mangas of the series... or episodes....aagh!!

Emotionally, I thought I was fine, but I've recently discovered I feel insecure and depressed again when I'm on my own. Clearly, no matter how much I like my own space, I still need... well, whatever you want to call it. Romance, love, hugs. People. That stings. I want to be able to live life on my own terms. Not to need contact - to be able to go it alone. Well, I could. The question is whether it would ever happen. I doubt it. I like love.

Now seems as good a time as any to dissect the year. It's the last day, after all.

It's long. I'll make it a new post.

So yeah. That's life in Kangaroo Flat.

2 comments:

The Maneuver said...

Why didn't you say something? I have all of Star Trek: TNG on DVD. Just shoot me a text and I can lend it to you.

The Saxman said...

Hip! That is such brilliant news! Thanks Maneuverable Man!