Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Learning to trust

Sometimes I'm not willing to let go and trust that things will be okay. I find it really hard. Perhaps that's a side effect of always seeing the 'smaller picture', focussing overmuch on details, whatever you want to call it. Perhaps if I could do a 'big picture' view, take a mental step back, predict the likely outcomes, and observe the situation dispassionately, that would be easier. I'd realise that it would all work out, and my petty complaints that 'things aren't perfect' would appear unnecessary.

So I struggle with the more general kind of trust. It seems wired into me, somehow. Why? Don't know. I'm just uptight, probably. Hmm... Then there's the more specific, personal kind of trust. I'm not sure how trusting I am on a personal level. It would probably depend on the person, how well I know them, my relationship to them, that sort of thing. I feel sure I could be trusting for people close to me. But sometimes people point out that I'm not.

It would be interesting to test out trust levels. For a day, I could observe situations where I'm being asked to put trust in someone, or trust in a situation, and see what my response is/was.
With all such observations, I suppose there's a small chance that the observing process affects the outcome, but still... worth a try.

I guess in the end, if I want to change, I can. In any case, it's definitely possible to be *too* trusting...

Word of the day: dispassionate.
adjective
not influenced by strong emotion, and so able to be rational and impartial: she dealt with life's disasters in a calm, dispassionate way.


Yep.

No comments: